The Hungerhills Woods
Walk 1: Start at the top end of Lee Lane West behind the college. Walk South down the track for 300yds till a style appears on the right. Turn right into the field and up to the kissing gate in the top corner. Go into the woods and turn left for the longer route or stay straight on along the main pathway. Keep turning to the right and come back up the hill to rejoin Lee Lane West. Turn right on the road, past the tennis courts to finish. Rating - gentle.
Walk 2. Start at the top of St Margarets Road. Take the old Roman Road on the right heading up to the College. This is a fascinating piece of history with ancient paving stones. When the path splits at the top, turn left into the field and walk up to the Kissing Gate. Go straight through the woods until the paths turns to the right. With the field in front, turn left down the hill until the path splits. Turn left with the gardens on your right and walk along the bottom of the woods. At the end, follow the path up the hill to the kissing gate, then turn hard right, through the field and down the hill back to the start. Rating - Moderate.
Walk 3. The Bird Walk. Start on West End Lane by the primary school. Follow the footpath into the woods and over the bridge. Say hi to the little owl. Start to climb the hill and bear right, and follow the path to the end. Here you can drop back down to Hall Lane, or turn left up the hill to the kissing gate behind Horsforth School.
At the top turn left - along here is the original owl in the trees pointing the way. Where the path forks, take the left fork and look out for the bird of prey. Re-join the main path before heading down the hill, bearing left and passing the little owl again on your return. Watch out for more additions! Rating - Moderate
See map below
You can access the woods from several start points.
1. Drive up Lee Lane West from West End Lane and find one of three footpaths on the right hand side.
2. At the top end of West End Lane Primary School, go through the style and enter the woods from the bottom of the hill.
3. From Hall Park, start opposite the childrens play area, cross Hall Lane and walk up through the newly planted trees.
4. Park up on Lee Lane East behind Horsforth School and follow the footpath across the fields and up the hill.
5. From Trinity and All Saints college, folow the public footpath through the fields and turn right through the kissing gate into the woods.